Roast leg of lamb
* 1 lamb leg (approx 2.5kg)
* Sea salt
* Freshly ground white pepper
* Olive oil
* 1 carrot, peeled and chopped in half
* 1 onion, peeled and chopped in half
* 1 stick celery, washed and cut in half
* 1 head garlic, cut in half
Pre-heat oven to 180C. Rub the lamb leg with salt, pepper and olive oil. Place the vegetables and garlic in a roasting tray, place the lamb on top and roast for about 1 hour 40 minutes. This is 40 minutes per kilo but remember no oven is the same, so use this as a guide if you don’t have an oven thermometer.Turn the leg over two to three times during cooking as this helps the meat cook evenly. Remove the lamb from the oven and leave it to rest in a warm place for 30 minutes.
Carve slices cutting towards the bone. This means you will be cutting across the grain of the meat, not along it, because the latter can make the meat seem chewy. My two favourite accompaniments would be a creamy potato gratin or classic ratatouille.